Friday, February 13, 2015

Drinking Your Calories (Juicing and Liquid Diets)


Juicing and green drinks seems to be the craze right now. Do you know this person? I'm guilty as charged. I think when they made this video I was their inspiration. 


A couple of years ago I did a 21 day detox.  The first part was a 3 day juice followed by 18 days of fruits and vegetables.  I already have adapted a gluten-free lifestyle, so the adjustment of giving up all of the processed foods and simple carbs wasn't a huge hurdle for me. More recently, I did (and will be repeating once a month for as long as I can) a 10 day green smoothie detox. With this being the beginning of the year, I know there are a lot of you looking to jump start your diet or you are looking for a healthier you.  Nutrition is key. As someone with sensitivities, I pay dearly when I eat poorly. By poorly, I mean breads, pasta, sweets, soda, iced tea, too much dairy.  I may not be taking in enough calories right now due to total lack of appetite with this current flair, and that is a different subject for a different day. It is the weekend and I do not feel like being judged on something I preach. So, do as I say not as I do and we will be BFF's foreva.

So, what are the benefits of liquid diets? I found that by slowly eliminating certain foods from my diet that I rid my body of wanting them.  I see a reduction in water retention, re-flux and or heartburn, cramps, clearer skin, you may even notice inflammation relief and better sleep.  You will see a typical weight loss of probably 5-10 lb so that's a bonus right? The gut gets a much needed break from breaking down all of those solids. Nutrition is immediately delivered to the right places in our body and we are able to quickly release what is not needed.

So, which do I prefer? Well they both allow you to eat. The 21 day can not be modified. You have to stick to the exact diet. The first 3 days can be a challenge since you are juicing every meal. When juicing you also lose a lot of the fibrous nutrients and some of the vitamins found in the skins or meal of our fruits and veggies. Juicing is strictly keeping the liquid and spitting out the rest of the fruit or vegetable. When blending.......you are retaining the key nutrients and it is also helping you to stay fuller longer. Now, the 21 day detox, you only juice for the first 3 days and then you are on a vegetarian diet the next 18 days. The 10 day detox you are drinking at least 2 out of 3 meals. I found the 10 day easier to stick to and the husband even participated.

Equipment needed for juicing? A juicer. Can be messy too. Equipment needed for green smoothies? A Nutribullet (although it may take a little while to mix it all up due to the size) or a high powered blender. I use a ninja. Vitamix is also recommended.

Pinterest also has a plethora of tips and recipes.

PLEASE NOTE , when juicing DO NOT use the apple seeds.  Apple seeds when ingested are known to release Cyanide into the body.




21 Day Detox-

3 Day Juice Recipe

5 carrots
1/2 green apple
4 oz (hand full) spinach
4 oz parsley
1/2 red beet 
1 cucumber
(1/2 lemon, slice of ginger root, or walnuts may be added for flavor)

For 3 days drink 16-24 oz 3 times a day as a meal replacement.
Drink lots of water. You may juice as often as necessary. 

The next 18 days consume fruits and vegetables. A boiled egg per day may be consumed for protein. No dairy, no alcohol, no sugar or sugar substitutes, no coffee, sodas, etc...Herbal teas may be consumed. 8-10 glasses of water a day (or just water jug chug). Olive oil and vinegar for salad dressing. Feel free to add lemon, lime, cucumber, and mint to your water. This helps aid in flushing. 


10 Day Green Smoothie Detox-

This is a PDF and due to the fact that it was given to me, I only email copies of this out. It is 100% free. No catch. I promise. If you are interested in obtaining it from me, you can just email me Here 


I'm happy for the weekend. Tomorrow is not only Valentine's Day, but also my 6th Anniversary. I'm very blessed to be celebrating love day with him. He is my rock. My biggest support and fan. The days I think I can't make it or I cannot walk, he is there to literally carry me. He has sacrificed more than I ever have or will deserve. He is who tells me "Yes you can." when I say "No I can't." I love him so.
 photo name-3.png

No comments:

Post a Comment